The National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST), the government's highest recognition and advisoty bosy on science and technology, will give the following awards and recognition to deserving scientist on 10 July 2014 in Manila, Philippines:
- OUTSTANDING YOUNG SCIENTIST (OYS) are given to young Filipino scientist (must not be 41 years old within January to December in the year of the award) who have made significant contributions to science and technology.
- TWAS PRIZE FOR YOUNG SCIENTIST IN THE PHILIPPINES is an award given to an outstanding young Filipino scientist (must not be 41 years old within January to December in the year of the award) by the Academy (NAST) and the Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS).
One award each year, consisting og US $2,000 and a plaque, is given in the selected discipline ofr the year - biology, chemistry, mathematics or physics. For 2014, tghe TWAS Prize for Young Scientist in the Philippines will be given for Biology. for 2015, 2016, 2017, the award will be for Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics.
- NAST TALENT SEARCH FOR YOUNG SCIENTIST is a project of NAST to encourage young people (must be 35 years older or younger within January to December in the year of the award) to pursue a career in science
Trophies and cash prizes will be awarded to the best three scintific paper presenters. The paper which will be presented may be basic or applied research.
- OUTSTANDING SCINTIFIC PAPER AWARDS are given annualy for papers published in the Philippine scientific or technical journals within five years preceeding the award.
Papers are judged based on the quality of their content, contribution to science and technology, clarity of presentation and thoroughness of documentation.
- OUTSTANDING BOOK and/or MONOGRAPH AWARDS are given annually for books and/or monographs published by Filipino publishers based in the Philippines. Majority of the authors of publication should be Filipino.
The grand prize winner wll receive PhP50,000 and a plaque of recognition from the Academy. Winners of special citations will receive plaques of recognition.
- NAST ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AWARD is intended to recognize outstanding scientific and technological research works that contribute to environmental protection and conservation.
The grand prize winner will receive Php50,000 and a plaque of recognition from the Academy. Winners with special citations will receive plaques of recognition.
- NAST AWARDS FOR OUTSTANDING RESEARCH IN TROPICAL MEDICINEis intended to recognize research work that contribute to the advancement of country's knowledge and practice in tropical medicine. The award aims to honor outstanding researcher contributions in the field of tropical medicine and recognize the role of scientific research in the country.
- DR. GEMINIANO T. DE OCAMPO VISIONARY AWARDS FOR MEDICAL RESEARCH is intended to recognize clinician researchers who have created the vision for medical research in the country through their outstanding work in medical research that have blazed and/or pioneered the trail for medical innovations and health research and development. The research should have created and traversed new frontiers in medicine through significant contributions to the fund of medical knowledge or the advancement of clinical practice in the country and have significantly impacted on the lives of the Filipino people.
Deadline for submission of nominations for all NAST is on the last working day of November every year except for the Dr. Geminiabno T. de Ocampo Visionary Award for Medical Research with deadline July 31 every year.
Nomination forms are available at the NAST Secretariat, 3rd Level, Philippine Science Heritage Building, DOST Compound, Bicutan, Taguig City, Philippines and can be downloaded at www.nast.ph